Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the building was originally built as the railyard's coal warehouse around 1880. It was an auto body shop in the mid 20th century.
In 1920, the building was remodeled and the California Mission Revival curvilinear façade was added.
In 1986, the inside of the warehouse was completely remodeled and opened as the Zia Diner on December 31, 1986. With a beautiful deco interior, one can yet enjoy the feeling of the original warehouse and view the old beams, roof and ducts through the dropped open ceiling. The exterior of the Zia remains.