Santa Fe Plaza – More Historic than Most other Town Squares

Santa Fe Plaza

It is the fourth largest city in the State of New Mexico, and its name means “holy faith” in Spanish. It is the city of Santa Fe with a population of nearly 69,000. Founded in 1610 by Don Pedro de Peralta, its full name, in Spanish, reads The Royal Town of the Holy Faith of St. Francis of Assisi. It became the capital of the 47th state in 1912.

The pride of New Mexico’s capital is Santa Fe Plaza, the political, commercial, and social heart of the city. The original plaza, also founded by Peralta, was a fort with a huge wall that enclosed the governor’s palace, barracks, a prison, and a chapel. The wall was later removed to make way for the homes of important Spanish officials. When the famous trade route, the Santa Fe Trail, was opened in 1822, it ended in the plaza.

Today, the Santa Fe Plaza is the site of patriotic and historical gatherings, ringed by the architecture of its early years. Two of the most famous sites are the San Miguel Mission, built about 1640 and one of the oldest churches in the nation, and the original Palace of the Governors, dating back to 1610-12.